Flap tabs and window placement in 3.0 image

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Feb 6 20:27:08 UTC 2001

>There have been many suggestions which I will try to gather up in a coherent way, but I hope at least a few of you with good ideas will try providing us with partial (or complete) examples (a picture being worth a thousand words, etc). As a first step, I have posted a project 'startingBob' on the BSS. It is incomplete, but I will probably be refining it today. Please feel free to post competing ideas so folks can actually see what an opening screen might look like.

Bob -

This is a good start.  I think we still have a ways to go [but who am I to talk as perpetrator of the 8 collpased title bars!].  A crucial question is what can we do in, like 3 days?

Here are my main thoughts:

1.  Decide on a "mission" for the startup screen.  Something like "The several faces of Squeak"

2.  Put those words, whatever they are, in bold letters, maybe as "Welcome to the Several Faces of Squeak" [this is meant to be bad enough so we'll get better suggestsions.

3.  Identify the facets we want to illustrate as, for example...

	Cool graphics in Morphic (like PWM3 and 5 combined)
	Sound and music (midi player with piano roll and timbre editor, spectrogram, speech)
	A simple Etoy (like drive-a car)
	3D (current Alice example is good)
	Squeak as a development system (teach the windows and tools)
	The Squeak engine (The VM, how we build it, how you can simulate)
	Open content (this includes a link to a remote project which expands on all of this)

4.  Do something like your arrangement, but rounder.  Maybe not exactly Alan's artist's palette, but at least a circular layout (around, say, the central message), and circular swatches around each project thumbnail, with maybe just a bit more text for each one.

5 Use each of the focus areas to a) teach some essentials, show off some cool stuff, answer the FAQs, and point to more documentation (;-).

Thanks for the start

	- Dan