[ENH] Lighter menus when menuColorFromWorld is turned on

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sun Feb 11 06:37:52 UTC 2001

Jesse Welton wrote:

> Doug Way wrote:
> >
> > When the menuColorFromWorld preferences is true (which seems to be
> > the new default setting), the menus look a little too dark gray to
> > me, which doesn't fit in with all of generally light-colored windows
> > in Squeak.  This changeset lightens up the menus a little.  (Still
> > looks okay with other background color settings too.)
>
> This is good, but to my eye it goes a little too far in the opposite
> direction.  An intermediate mixing fraction looks better, say .85?
> (With a mixing fraction of .9, I think the top & left edges of the
> menu blend into the background a little too much.)

Yeah, .85 looks pretty decent... that would be okay.  (My original changeset was .87, then I switched to .9)

By blending into the background I assume you mean the world background, not the menu background?  I can still see the upper/left edge against the background pretty well at .9 ... it may depend on monitor settings too, I guess.  Anyway, either .85 or .9 is okay with me.

A more noticeable problem for me is that the upper/left border highlighting is nearly the same as the menu color, but the lower/right border color is quite a bit darker.  This is because Color>>lighter and Color>>darker don't really do the right thing.  Something like Color>>dansDarker is much better... the #lighter & #darker methods should be changed at some point to work like #dansDarker.  (I was going to include this as part of the alternate look I was working on... post 3.0.)  Also, I was concerned that the calculation that #dansDarker does would be quite a bit slower than the current #darker, but I just tested them and they're almost the same performance-wise.

(Oh, okay, I'll post the lighterMenu changeset with .85...)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com