optional panes out-of-the-box, and other preferences

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 9 23:05:56 UTC 2001

Well, it seems to depend on the VM.  If the snd_Start() routine reports
failure, then normally all is fine.  However, certain versions of the
Unix VM will report success in snd_Start(), even if sound isn't
available, and this ultimately leads to trouble.

At a guess, one could fix this by having snd_Start() return "false" in
sqUnixSound.c, in the case that you don't have OSS available.

-Lex