Macintosh close window box?

Jeff Szuhay jeff at szuhay.org
Sat Feb 3 16:00:23 UTC 2001

>Mind I think save dialogs are treated special on the mac
>at shutdown time

I'm not aware of this nor have I seen any special code in
the frameworks (MacApp, PowerPlant) to deal with it.

Does Squeak handle AEQuit? and the other basic Apple
Events?

In multiple windowing apps, the close box just closes the window.
In single window only apps, the close box mimics the Quit
menu. An example of this is the Chooser windows or the TCP/IP
control panel.

I can see that a "force quit without saving" option would be
useful but should not be the default behavior. This could
be implemented by holding down the option/alt key when closing
the window or qutting... a feature common on the Mac: the option/alt
key enhancing a given behavior. Unfortunately, I don't think this
carries through as well on Windows or *nix.

I thought checking for the need to save was a part of any Quit processing,
regardless of when or who initiates it.

Jeff 8-)

   Jeff Szuhay              A randomly-directed
   www.szuhay.org           chaotical wetware pattern
   jeff at szuhay.org          recognizer/generator.

   You will find that silence or very gentle words are
   the most exquisite revenge for insult.
     -- Judge Hall