`just slow it`....

Joshua Channing Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Feb 10 14:47:00 UTC 2001

Hi Stefan,
On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 11:43:48AM +0100, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
> At 10:48 09.02.01 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
> >
> > > VisualWorks, for example is very fast.  Even SELF displays - if not
> > > used in multiple user mode - its world fast enough, even if the
> > > machine is heavily loaded.
> >
> >Both VW and Self use X primitives for rendering, not pixmaps.
>
> Yes.  So what?  From the user's point of view I'm just comparing similar
> applications.  I especially mentioned SELF as it has the same UI technology
> - morphic - so it should be valid to compare both systems.  If Squeak's
> current display technology isn't fast enough, we should change that.

I think this is a bit unfair.  Try porting that SELF to a non-X platform,
and see how tough it is compared to porting Squeak.  One of Squeak's explicit
design goals is portability, and using pixmap rendering is one of the choices
made to support that.

Of course, if a proposal was made that could greatly improve display
performance over the network, AND retain portability (and not take up a
disproportionate amount of developer time), then it should be considered.

Joshua