Native GUI Squeak?

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Sat Feb 17 09:59:22 UTC 2001

Jim,

from your comments, I am assuming that you're on a Mac.  If MacOS-X
is an option for you, then the new MacOS-X VM might just have what
you're looking for, though there is still a bit of work to do.

The MacOS-X VM comes in two parts:  a framework with the actual VM
and most of the support code, and a front end application with some
GUI classes.  Most of the GUI classes should actually also be in a
framework (and everything together packaged up as a nice
InterfaceBuilder palette), but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

The potentially interesting bit is that all the Squeak-specific bits
are in reusable code that isn't tied to that particular application.
 This includes Squeak's display surface, which is just a view like
any other.  So you can create a new application and add all the menus
you want, a snap in InterfaceBuilder.  You can also layout the
Squeak view anywhere you want in the window, adding widgets to the
window to your hearts content, or more (non squeak) windows/panels.

You then have to put in some glue to pass the events that are
generated to the appropriate Squeak objects, which can probably be
achived by extending the event model a bit.  Voila, mixed
application.

Hmm, that just got me thinking.  It is a normal feature for views to
be nested.  So I should be able to just simply place widgets on top
of the Squeak view ("inside", so to speak).  Except that the Squeak
display logic currently isn't fully view-compliant, but that's
fixable.  Add to that the IB-palette, and you would be able to write
your core stuff in Squeak, load that image into IB, add widgets,
menus etc. and try it all out within IB.  Add app-wrapper code
(minimal) and you're done.

Hmm,

Marcel

> From: "Jim Benson" <jb at speed.net>

[snip[

> Squeak has no menu bar, so that's a problem. How does Squeak
interact with
> with an "application" when there is no longer an obvious desktop?
I can't