Easy on the icons! (was Re: Native GUI Squeak?)

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Sun Feb 18 19:34:05 UTC 2001

Alan:

Actually Blisssymbolics (or Semantography) is the work of Charles Bliss, an Australian when he did his work.

>From the Australian National Library at: http://www.nla.gov.au/ms/findaids/3884.html
Charles Kasiel Blitz was born to Jewish parents in Austria in 1897. After graduating in Chemical Engineering from Vienna Technical University in 1922, Bliss became chief of patents in a large electrical firm. He fled from Nazi occupation during World War II, making his way via England to Shanghai where he lived until travelling to Australia in 1946. While in England, he officially changed his surname to Bliss.

His big work was Blissymbolics, 2ed (1965), published in Australia, but there were others. There are a number of references on the web to Blissymbolics and Semantography which is used in the US and Canada for teaching handicapped students.

I haven't run into Bruner, at least that I remember. Did he work with Blissymbolics or does he have another system? have any references?

(I maintain a minor interest in Semantography  from my long time interest in notations. I collect examples & books about 'other' ways people write, where 'other' means non-language based. While Semantography IS language based, it caught my interest. I've been trying to buy a copy of Blissymbolics, 2ed (1965), or a rumored 3rd edition from 1978. They are kind of difficult to find!)

Dave

--
David N. Smith