Mac 3.0 benchmarks

Jay Carlson nop at nop.com
Thu Feb 8 14:28:10 UTC 2001

Doug Way [mailto:dway at riskmetrics.com] writes:

> Jay Carlson wrote:
> >
> > Eric Scharff [mailto:Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU] writes:
> >
> > > The feeling that Squeak 3.0 feels sluggish (especially when
> compared to
> > > 2.8) seems to be verified by the benchmarks.
> >
> > I'm not sure I trust the benchmarks for this.  I see more
> sluggishness than
> > a 10% change in benchmark numbers would suggest.
> >
> > My configuration is a Celeron 450 running Windows 2000.
> >
> > I was trying to pin down a repeatable, quantifiable test, but didn't get
> > anywhere with the quantifiable part.  Here's what I did:
> >
> > Open a fresh Squeak 2.8 image (with either 2.8 or 3.0 VM).
> Enter a morphic
> > project. Open a browser.  Now click around on lots of classes
> and methods.
> > Feels fast.
> >
> > Open a fresh Squeak 2.9 or 3.0.a0 image (with either 2.8 or 3.0
> VM).  Get
> > that browser up.  Click on lots of classes and methods.  On my machine,
> > there is a very visible difference in responsiveness---it takes
> a fraction
> > of a second to react to clicks.  If it had sound effects, it would sound
> > like "clickCLUNK" instead of just "click".
>
> Believe it or not, this problem will be fixed if you turn off the
> browseWithDragNDrop preference.  (and open a new browser)

Bingo.  By the way, it seemed like dragging a browser from the tools flap
wasn't enough to be a "new browser".

You have no idea how happy I am this was just a configuration error.

> Somehow a 200ms delay is built into the browser selecting when
> drag and drop is turned on, although it doesn't seem like it
> should really be necessary.  Perhaps it was easier to implement
> this way, I haven't dug into it.  Still, it's a significant
> problem that almost might make it worth disabling drag and drop
> by default if there isn't some other way to fix it.

Well, I wouldn't mind as much if I could remember how to make browser drag
do something---I'm always trying to "tear off" a category or method by
dragging it onto the background, and that doesn't do anything.  Yes, I'm
reading the source now to see what it really does....

> (Actually, for awhile in 2.9 there were more places in Morphic
> with a 200ms delay built in (including bringing up the World
> menu), but most of these got cleaned up a couple of months ago.)

Cool.

Jay