Squeak slowdowns (Unix 3.1)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Feb 21 05:15:59 UTC 2001

I'm using the 3.0pre2 Unix VM under Linux 2.4.0, with a 3.1 image.
What I'm finding is that:

  * normally things run pretty well; if I do a Message Tally I see about 80%
of the time being spent in Delay>>wait. The CPU usage is below 5% for Squeak.

  * sometimes, though, Squeak uses about 100% of a CPU, and if I do a similar
Message Tally, I see 75% of the time being spent in
EventSensor>>nextEventFromQueue.

It can go from the "good" state to the "bad" state just by being left alone
with no interaction.

Saving the image, quitting, and restarting fixes this problem.

Any suggestions?
--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA