How to implement events on Unix?

Jeff Szuhay jeff at szuhay.org
Fri Feb 9 21:56:24 UTC 2001

>I don't think that there's a lot of thread support on pre MacOS/X.

Hmm.. the Thread Manager (cooperative threading) goes back to
System 7.

The MultiProcessing Library (preemptive threading even on a single
CPU) was version 2.0 as of OS 8.6.

Its just that because of the event model, programmers haven't typically
think in terms of multi-threading, but its been there for quite a while.

But if you mean "standard" or common thread support/pthreads, then
I would have to concede your point.

But both MP Tasks and the Thread Manager are available on
OS X (the latter via Carbon, the former built on pthreads).

8-)

   Jeff Szuhay              A randomly-directed
   www.szuhay.org           chaotical wetware pattern
   jeff at szuhay.org          recognizer/generator.

   I think that's how Chicago got started.
   A bunch of people in New York said,  "Gee,
   I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty,
   but it just isn't cold enough.  Let's go west!".
     --  Richard Jeni