Unidentified subject!

Sam Adams ssadams at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 23 00:35:24 UTC 2001

I ran into a problem running a 3.0 image on the Mac. I have downloaded all
updates as of 2/21.

I'm working on a bunch of documentation stuff for Squeak as a labor of
love.
And I _do_ love this stuff!

One entry point I looked at was from the main Swiki
(http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/795) where a counter example not unlike
that included in my earlier Smalltalk books appears. I decided the
familiarity
of the project might facilitate my making quick progress. The directions
for
doing a direct-manipulation project on that page were self-described as
incomplete and outdated. But I attempted to recreate them.

(I apologize for the length of this email. In helping people sort out bugs
over
the years, I've always tried to provide as much detail as possible even
when
some of the details didn't seem particularly relevant.)

I placed an Alignment Morph from the morphs menu, resized it and changed
its
color. Then I looked for an LedMorph. It doesn't appear to be included in
the
standard morphs menu, so I rummaged about and found one in the SameGame
morph.
I duplicated it and dragged the copy into the Alignment Morph, and embedded
it
in the Pasteup Morph containing the Alignment Morph. (QUERY - Is there a
reason
the LedMorph isn't on the "Add a new morph" menu?)

Next, I added a SimpleButtonMorph from the morphs menu, duped it twice, and
edited the labels on the three buttons. I didn't like the default alignment
was getting so I turned off alignment (i.e., selected "no alignment") so I
could move them at will. In the course of that step, I believe, the
LedMorph
wandered outside the bounds of the Alignment morph. I suspect that's where
my
trouble began.

I rearranged the buttons and when I tried to return the LedMorph to its
place
inside the Alignment morph, I couldn't get a halo on it. I could get one on
an
individual Led digit but not on the Led morph. I tried several times,
figuring
I was just hitting the wrong target with the cursor.

Suddenly, the menu I was trying to work with on the Led digit morphs didn't
close after I selected an option. Instead, the option stayed highlighted in
kind of strange yellow color and the menu stayed up. opened another,
selected
the same choice, with the same effect.

So I figure now I'm in trouble, so I click on the desktop to bring up the
world
menu so I can quit without saving and start over. To my surprise and
chagrin,
clicking on the desktop produced, not the world menu, but a menu I've never
seen before designed to help me find a window. So now I have no way of
getting
out of Squeak cleanly. I experimented a bit and found I couldn't really do
anything.

So I quit from the Mac system menu, was not asked about saving, and
relaunched
the image. The Counter project has disappeared, but I still cannot get a
world
menu; clicking on the desktop (or what I've come to think of as the desktop
at
least) in my opening Squeak window produces the menu for finding a window.
quit and re-launched twice to no avail.

By now it's 1 a.m. so I shut down for the night and I get up this morning
write this email. In the midst of it, I go back to the 3.0 image and click
on
the desktop to confirm that I still can't get a world menu. And, again to
my
surprise, things seem to be working again.

Maybe this was a low-memory condition. I did restart my machine between
those
sessions (last night and this morning). But I thought I'd report it anyway
in
part because it's the first major sign of instability I've seen in 3.0.