optional panes out-of-the-box, and other preferences

Scott Wallace Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Tue Feb 6 00:25:47 UTC 2001

We're seeking opinions about the out-of-the-box settings of various
preferences and parameters in Squeak 3.0.

One consideration is whether or not the browsers and other tools
should, by default, show the optional annotation panes and button
panes.

My sense is that many people do prefer to use these panes if they
know about them.  Some long-time Smalltalkers don't like them, and
many newcomers don't know of them, but a preponderance of us fall
between those two extremes and do use them.  So my inclination is to
have the ancillary panes showing by default.  Certainly anyone who
proactively did *not* want them would have no difficulty in turning
them off in Preferences.

(Incidentally, I think that before too long -- but after 3.0 -- we
will have controls that allow optional panes to be added and removed
on-the-fly in any window, just as they can in any modern web browser.
When this comes along, this should give us the best of both worlds,
and it will reduce the importance of whatever choice we make right
now regarding the optional panes.)

Everyone with opinions to register regarding the out-of-box settings
of these two preferences, or those of any other preference,
parameter, project color, default object size, default font, etc.:
this would be a good time to make yourselves heard.

Thanks,

  -- Scott