[updates] 85 new ones / Fast-track beta / Please test

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Fri Feb 2 09:40:37 UTC 2001

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> With sincere appreciation of all the points raised regarding 2.9ff
> possibilities, we are declaring this to be a fast-track beta for Release 3.0,
> targeted to freeze (in aobut a week) and ship on the CDROM for Mark and Kim's
> forthcoming book on Squeak (*).

Make sure to put up a prominent window on the startup desktop that somehow
points to a net resource for updates to the 3.0 version on the CD.

This way CD owners will easily be able to find the omissions that we will by
natural law discover a couple of days after putting it in the mail.

I suggest just a brief "click here for bug fixes" or so blurb with a link to
an "Updating the 3.0 CD image" page on the Swiki. (Possibly also the
explicit URL for typing into Netscape et al. as a baseline provision.) Then
the actual description there.

Possibly also a button that directly triggers "load updates from server". It
may not be obvious how to find that command in the help (!) menu of the
system menu.

Henrik