"Rio Ancho " - Paco de Lucia

Gerardo Richarte core.lists.squeak at core-sdi.com
Wed Feb 21 15:18:17 UTC 2001

> Regarding the sound of program execution: In the era of minicomputers,
> you could hear it through a suitably tuned radio receiver placed near
> the machine.

	Aha!
	Here at Core SDI (where I work) a few years ago we started to
investigate that with two different objetives: To be able to emit/transmit
with a computer, and to be able to listen what a computer emits subreptitiusly... it wasn't more than two evenings on it, but we've been
able to code two different loops, that we could here as 'peeeeeep' and
'sssss' in an FM receiver in the other apartment some 30m away from it.
It was really amazing: we started just joking, but then it worked!
	Now I'm reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson where he mentions
something named Van Heck phreaking (I guess it's his invention). It is
like tempest but instead of receiving video, receiving CPU's emitions.
Does anybody heard of this in the real world already?

	Etherial Bye!
	Richie++

--- For a personal reply use gera at core-sdi.com