Raskin on icons

Dick Karpinski dick at cfcl.com
Sun Feb 18 17:32:08 UTC 2001

Alan Kay, by saying that "Jef doesn't understand what icons were for" in
replying to Greenberg neither answers the particular critiques of icons
I (and others) have made nor credits me with having pointed out in my
book (and elsewhere) that under the appropriate circumstances, icons can
contribute to usability. I also reference sources that explain how to
use them well. That icons can be useful does not change the fact that
they are often misused in commercial operating systems such as Windows
and the Mac OS. As far as I can see, Alan and I are in agreement.

Jef Raskin