Missing routines for 3.0 Unix VM: what's the status?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Feb 8 02:28:15 UTC 2001

>On Wednesday 07 February 2001 14:18, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>
>  > My list of undefined symbols was much smaller (don't ask me why) and I
>
>dir_GetMacFileTypeAndCreator

This get the file type and creator. Some other systems like the
acorn? supply metadata from the OS about the file. So it's not mac
specific, I guess we could change the name

>dropInit
>dropRequestFileHandle
>dropRequestFileName
>dropShutdown

Drag and drop.

>snd_SetVolume
>snd_Volume

These get the left/right sound volume, and let you set the left/right
sound volume. You can do things in Squeak with manipulating the bits,
but sometimes you need to talk to the OS sound subsystem.

Someone commented about the macintosh event driven code being incomplete.

This is untrue, the complicating factor is that the code for both the
new and old event model is there because the VM needs to run 2.8 or
lower images.
I've been looking at  Marcel Weiher  Cocoa work and think it's nice,
and perhaps it's time to restructure the macintosh source.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6