ChangeSet's and environments

Eric Arseneau eric at ericsworld.com
Mon Feb 12 23:06:49 UTC 2001

Sorry to hit you all with this stuff, but these are questions I have to
answer to myself in order to get a good direction on the stuff I am doing,
and using you all as a sound board is just too easy ;-)

Should a ChangeSet not have the environment for which it was created ?
Currently the source for a change is looked up via the Smalltalk dictionary
for the class, then the method by the selector name.  Lets say we replace
the Smalltalk global with the appropriate environment when we are in the
appropriate project, this still does not resolve what happens when I use the
ChangeSorter to browse code ...

I just realized that the problems really stem from not having globally
unique names.  If all class names were uniquer than this would not be a
problem.  But then again if we had globally unique names, then environments
would be less useful.  I'm sure VW has this stuff worked out, I should read
their papers and see what they've come up with for all this stuff.