Missing routines for 3.0 Unix VM: what's the status?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Feb 8 03:47:25 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 07 February 2001 15:26, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> >ioCanRenameImage
> >ioCanWriteImage
> >ioDisableImageWrite
> >ioGetSecureUserDirectory
> >ioGetUntrustedUserDirectory
> >ioScreenDepth
>
> Don't know why but I didn't get these.

Did you generate from a *recent* 3.0 image (i.e. with changes up to 3446)?
Some of these come from the Security plugin which was recently added.

> Actually, these two are just defines.  You might want to check whether
> you're using the right sq.h file.  You'll however get a however a couple of
> other errors then.  You should disable Ian's experimental gzip-image
> support.

How do I do that?

> Does it signal the semaphore?  If not, I don't think, event support is
> working.

You've got a point there. I can't find anywhere where the value for that
semaphore is actually used (it's tested repeatedly, but not used as anything
more than a flag).

> >int ioGetNextEvent(sqInputEvent *evt) {
> >         if (eventBufferGet == eventBufferPut) {
> >                 ioProcessEvents();
> >         }
> >         if (eventBufferGet == eventBufferPut)
> >                 return 1;
>
> This line looks strange.  If the buffer is empty, this should never have
> been called.  Or at least, the primitive must fail. IMHO.  This way, evt
> isn't initialized which could be already bad.  Or, if that doesn't crash
> the system, it will magical "generate" an event as it reuses the old
> structure.

It does seem odd, since it returns 1 at that point.

> Sure. The obvious implementation.  The interesting question however is,
> what kinds of events are possible?

in sq.h, there's sqMouseEvent, sqKeyboardEvent, and sqDragDropFilesEvent.

So it seems like this "Event" support is just for user interaction (not for
sound/serial/socket).

I'm not sure that the Windows version was actually working with events,
either. Perhaps Andreas could answer that.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com