Applescript errors? Build errors?

Jack Keel jhkeel at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 8 06:03:02 UTC 2001

John,

>>I also tried using the Applescript support from within Squeak
>>(Applescript doIt: 'beep 3'.) and that also failed with a type(?)
>>error
>
>You need the TestOSAPlugin, I've emailed you a copy.

Thanks for the testOSAPlugin.  It worked on 2.8.4.

Now that I joined this list I have become aware of all the activity
aimed at V3 so I downloaded it and tried Applescript & testOSAPlugin
in V3 and a simple (beep 3) script worked fine.

>>  I am using Squeak 2.8.4 and Mac 9.0.4 and also 9.1.  Has anyone
>>used Applescript in Squeak recently?  Is Squeak compliant with
>>Apple's scripting architecture?  Does it work with 9.0.4+?  I did a
>>search on the Swiki but didn't get pertinent hits on this.

Squeak isn't AppleScript aware, it could be, just a few good
hours/men/coders are needed to add a bunch of stuff. I mean one could
get Squeak to execute arbitrary Smalltalk via an applescript call,
now if that is a good idea that is another issue.

I tried the thing I originally wanted to do and that was to get
iListen to make Squeak menu items speakable.  iListen is able to
process Squeak V3 without complaining about null REFCONs now so that
appears to have been cleaned up in V3.

I just got iListen and am experimenting with speakable applications.
iListen appears to be in a very early release state and it does not
yet support some of the features found in the earlier non-dictation
ListenDo! (such as automatically making each of the items in all of
the pull down menus speakable).   But given that Squeak doesn't make
use of the pull down menus I guess that is a moot point.  From my
newbie "make the world speakable" viewpoint, it would be nice if the
menus in the menus flap were also available in the Mac menus thus
(eventually) allowing me to speak every menu command.  (I know...
this will get done at the same time as I make Squeak Apple scriptable
;)

>>....Has anybody used CW pro 6 to build Squeak?
>
>In the update that went out yesterday
>3536macVM3-0-2UpdatesJMM.cs -- John McIntosh -- 6 February 2001
>Update the macintosh source to match the V3.02VM.
>This is an attempt to drag the project files towards a more current release.

I'm not sure I have that version.  I downloaded Squeak 3.0Alpha2 from
the Alpha server and it says #3414 on the left "Squeak" flap.
Macintosh change date of Feb 6 @ 10:35.  Where can I get the one you
mention?

>There is a change to the CodeWarrior project in the
>projectArchive.sit , I've exported the project I'm using to build
>3.0. Import this into CodeWarrior, and try that. If you get the same
>error let me know.
>(Sign didn't update the readme)
>
>Ok how about you shake out the bugs as a novice builder for me, then
>we'll get it right for the pending CD eh?

Okay, glad to try.  I just want to be sure to be on the proper
version before I start.  Should be able to try to compile it Thursday
night.

BTW, has anyone discussed porting to Java as one of the many
supported "platforms"?  That would open up some options for ST-JAVA
inter-language communication that may not be as easy with a VM in C.
Just curious musings from the naive.  I've been following Jess a
little and, IMHO, it's ability to access Stanford's Java-based
Protege and its ability to instantiate Java classes from within a
logic language without coding any Java seems pretty cool.

>>MPW.....
>>

>I'll look into this, Since Jitter 3 is using MPW there has been
>discussion of offering only an MPW version, versus a CW one.

(Another novice question): What are Apple's long term plans for MPW,
in light of OS X?

FYI, Here is my MPW log:

# 1:19:42 AM ----- Build of MPWsqueak.
# 1:19:42 AM ----- Analyzing dependencies.
# 1:19:42 AM ----- Executing build commands.
     MrC "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:dnr.c" -o dnr.c.x -d SQUEAKMPW -opt speed -w 6,29,30,35
     MrC "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:interp.c" -o interp.c.x -d SQUEAKMPW -opt speed -w 6,29,30,35
MrC C Compiler 4.1.0f1c1
Copyright (C) 1994-1999 by Apple Computer, Inc.

	moduleName = ioListBuiltinModule(index);
	                                       ^
File "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:interp.c"; line 11516 #Error: cannot implicitly convert
from: (int)
to  : (char *)
#-----------------------
	moduleName = ioListLoadedModule(index);
	                                      ^
interp.c"; line 11569 #Error: cannot implicitly convert
from: (int)
to  : (char *)
#-----------------------
### MPW Shell - Execution of MPWsqueak.makeout terminated.
### MPW Shell - Execution of BuildProgram terminated.

# 1:25:53 AM ----- Build of MPWsqueak.
# 1:25:53 AM ----- Analyzing dependencies.
# 1:25:53 AM ----- Executing build commands.
     MrC "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:interp.c" -o interp.c.x -d SQUEAKMPW -opt speed -w 6,29,30,35
     MrC "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:sqADPCMPrims.c" -o sqADPCMPrims.c.x -d SQUEAKMPW -opt speed -w
6,29,30,35
MrC "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:sqFilePrims.c" -o sqFilePrims.c.x -d SQUEAKMPW -opt speed -w
6,29,30,35
{I removed some errant attempts at recompiling here so continuity may be off}
MrC C Compiler 4.1.0f1c1
Copyright (C) 1994-1999 by Apple Computer, Inc.

} SQFile;
   ^
File "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:FilePlugin.h"; line 9 #Error: 'SQFile' previously declared as
something else
It was declared as: struct _N339sq.h
It is now declared: struct _N342FilePlugin.h
#-----------------------

MrC C Compiler 4.1.0f1c1
Copyright (C) 1994-1999 by Apple Computer, Inc.

} SQFile;
   ^
File "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:FilePlugin.h"; line 9 #Error: 'SQFile' previously declared as
something else
It was declared as: struct _N339sq.h
It is now declared: struct _N342FilePlugin.h
#-----------------------

# 1:53:32 AM ----- Build of MPWsqueak.
# 1:53:32 AM ----- Analyzing dependencies.
# 1:53:32 AM ----- Executing build commands.
     MrC "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:sqGSMCodecPlugin.c" -o sqGSMCodecPlugin.c.x -d SQUEAKMPW -opt
speed -w 6,29,30,35
     MrC "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:sqMacAsyncFilePrims.c" -o sqMacAsyncFilePrims.c.x -d SQUEAKMPW
-opt speed -w 6,29,30,35 -w off
MrC C Compiler 4.1.0f1c1
Copyright (C) 1994-1999 by Apple Computer, Inc.

} AsyncFile;
   ^
File "MacintoshHD:Programming:Squeak 2.8:Squeak2.8-mac
folder:AsynchFilePlugin.h"; line 10 #Error: 'AsyncFile' previously
declared as something else
It was declared as: struct _N341sq.h
It is now declared: struct _N342AsynchFilePlugin.h