Symbolic Math/Functions in Smalltalk

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Tue Feb 27 15:13:06 UTC 2001

Stephen:

Dieder Besset's new book may have at least some of what you want. Here is the info from Amazon:

Object-Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods: An Introduction with Java & Smalltalk
by Didier H. Besset
Our Price: $54.95
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.
Hardcover - 792 pages Bk&Cd Rom edition (October 2000)
Morgan Kaufmann Publishers; ISBN: 1558606793 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.69 x 9.55 x 7.66
Avg. Customer Rating:  *****

There may by now be a Squeak port. I moved the code, written in IBM Smalltalk, to Squeak in January, using some tools I have for that, and identified 4-5 spots that needed minor changes due to differences in exception handling. I then passed it back to Didier. I don't know its current status, but he considers a Squeak port to be important.

The publishers page on this book is:
	http://www.mkp.com/books_catalog/catalog.asp?ISBN=1-55860-679-3

I'll check on the current status of the Squeak port.

Dave

--
David N. Smith