Versioning requirements and proposal

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed Feb 7 14:50:22 UTC 2001

Jay,

I think an even clearer scheme would use the highest change set number in the third position. Thus, the 3.0 image I downloaded a few days ago would be 3.0.3414. In fact, at this point the 3.0 becomes mostly sugar coating since the change set number basically tells it all. While the increments one would see for packages on an ftp server would likely be greater than one, the size of the increment would suggest the degree of change. Additionally, since bugs are generally created or fixed by a particular change set, then information like "Oh, that was introduced/fixed/cleaned-up in change set 1234" would directly point one to images that did or did not have this attribute.

Cheers,
Bob