Versioning requirements and proposal

Jeff Szuhay jeff at szuhay.org
Wed Feb 7 21:15:28 UTC 2001

>It sounds generally good to me.  I agree that 3.0.1, 3.0.2, etc., are
>generally easier for regular non-test-pilot users to refer to and
>remember, rather than 3.0.3446 or 3.0.3462.  (And yes, these 3.0.x numbers
>would only refer to post-official-release bugfix versions, not any alpha
>or beta versions.  We can still use 3.1alpha-3522 etc. for these.)

I think this makes sense also.

The problem with using the changeset numbers is that they don't
alway apply to specific version.

There is another model which I did not like at first but have grown
quite comfortable with is the CodeWarrior model where, say, version
5.3 consists of v4.1.2 of the IDE, v1.6.8 of the compiler, v.3.1.0 of the
debugger
etc.

For Squeak and related parts (Whisker, STP, Siren, etc.) a version could
then refer to a package of parts each with their own versions.

8-)

   Jeff Szuhay              A randomly-directed
   www.szuhay.org           chaotical wetware pattern
   jeff at szuhay.org          recognizer/generator.

   Nothing of importance happened today.
   -- From George III's diary, July 4, 1776