Internet Explorer killing commanche?

Alejandro Fernandez casco at darmstadt.gmd.de
Sat Feb 10 16:56:32 UTC 2001

Hi all,
 I changed the subject of this mail from "CreateThread() failed (8)"
because minutes before sending it I decided to run a test with Netscape.

Here it goes:

  I've had this problem for a long time now and I can find the answer. I
have found it through Swikis, but I am copying the mail to the
Squeak list because it seems to be Squeak related also. Sorry for
bothering during the rush for release 3.0.

The problem appears in ComSwiki 4.6/11 and 4.7/12; with Squeak 2.7 to
3.0.  It even happens with the prepackaged release of com47swiki12
downloaded from the PWS page. I have tested it in Windows with 128MB
(Pemtium
3 128 megs) and Windows 2000 (Pemtium 2, 64 megs). It happens
headless and with UI; it happens with and without the -memory: command
line parameter (64 for the machine with 128 megs, 32 for the machine
with 64megs)

But... it only happens with Internet Explorer (at least it does not
happen with Netscape)

I am running a ComSwiki server and it hangs after 5 minutes of use. The
first symptom
is that the images in the swiki toolbar are not served (the browser
cannot retrieve them). After several tries the server stops responding
(even Squeak) with the console message:
"CreateThread() failed (8) -- Not enough storage is available to process
this command."

It's even worse when the server and client run in the same machine.

One way to reproduce the problem is to go to a page with images (those
in the toolbar are enough) and reload the page six or seven times, even
before it ends downloading. That should make it. At least, it's enough
to blow the server in all the computers I have.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Best regards,
Casco