[BUG][3.0][UNIX] flashing screen

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Feb 17 18:38:07 UTC 2001

On 16 Feb 2001, J Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:
>
> > What WindowManager are you using?
>
>   ion

The one at http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/ ? Looks pretty
interesting - no overlapping windows, right?

> > Could you try another one?
>
>   I just tried sawfish.  It works fine under sawfish.

okay, that explains a bit.

> > What display depth is your X server running?
>
>   16bit.

What kind of flashing do see? Is the window decoration "flashing", too, or
only the Squeak window contents? Like, becoming black and then correct
again?

I guess Ion and Squeak do not agree about some ICCCM issues. The X VM uses
an intermediate window to make fullscreen mode possible. To resize the
inner (real) window it sends XResizeWindow whenever a ConfigureNotify
event is received. This could result in a race condition when the WM
answers the resize with a new configure event. You could try to modify the
ConfigureNotify case in HandleEvents() and see if that helps ...

-- Bert