[SF][VM] SF for VMs: Phoenix out of ashes? [was: Re: Missing routines for 3.0 Unix VM: what's the status?]

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Thu Feb 8 00:33:30 UTC 2001

Dear Tim, dear All!

I'm somewhat euphoric, since
	I see light in the tunnel!

Finally there seems to be a realistic chance to
- bundle all ports at *one* place;
- to ease generation of special VMs;
- to avoid confusion of who is working at what;
- to be more in sync with all platforms.

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Stefan Matthias Aust <sma at 3plus4.de> is widely believed to have written:
>
> > >Is it time to rev up the Sourceforge project again?
> >
> > It would be great - to start with something easy - if the sources at source
> > forge would be up to date.  I lost an hour or so trying to work with them
> > until I eventually got the better ones.  Ian's new sources are much easier
> > to use and well documented.  Thanks, Ian.
> >
> I have an almost finished toolset that will allow a sensible code tree
> that incorporates _all_ platforms and that can build vms with any
> appropriate combination of internal/external/not-supported plugins,
> optimisations, inlining, security, lemon/cherry/new-car smell, whatever.

This is great news!

> The unix makefile stuff finally got done a little while ago, but since
> I don't have a mac IDE nor a windows machine, I'll have to ask for
> volunteers to work on the makefiles for them (and indeed those other
> platforms much beloved by many).

> I'm pretty sure the proposed tree would work very nicely for
> Sourceforge.

More greater news!

Put it there, if you are finished, please!

ToDo (IMO)
==========

I think there should be a discussion/decision between/of all maintainers of
all platforms
- if/when to use SF for *all* in the future.
If there are some ports at SF and others not, we generate avoidable problems
I think.

To get SF in use there should be a coordination between all maintainers of
all platforms
- to get a very good start there;
- to fulfill the dream of
	- really open source and
	- transparent and
	- collaborative work!

Note: Official 'sheep' versions should be tagged.

Greetings and thank you very much,

Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)