[SF][VM] SF for VMs: Phoenix out of ashes?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Feb 9 10:39:57 UTC 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Raab, Andreas wrote:

> I believe that everyone who is involved in such a project for a long
> enough time will have phases during which one is either too busy or
> simply too tired of doing the necessary work.

Which is okay. But in a community project the work shouldn't have to stop
for long just because one person is hindered. Further development should
be possible, even if the next release has to wait until the maintainer
finds the time for it. And "further development" does not just mean that
everyone is hacking stuff on his own (this is what we're doing now), but
that it is possible to aggregate single contributions into a common
source tree (which must not necessarily be the "official" source tree,
although it should not deviate too much).

> Up to now, I have not been contacted by anyone who was asking the
> question "So why aren't you using SF?!". Nobody asked me about this
> issue - there just seemed to be this expectation that I would have to
> use it.

Well, you made your feelings clear now :)

> Which makes me wonder if anyone ever asked Ian about how he feels?!

We did, in the process of 2.8 release back in August. There was a thread
on the Squeak list (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/squeak/message/18977)
and a couple of private emails. Basically Ian has the same attitude like
you regarding his code (please correct me if I'm wrong here, Ian), but no
concluding decision to go CVS or not was made. We got distracted by daily
business ...

-- Bert