Swiki on a localhost

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Tue Jan 16 16:15:45 UTC 2001

> From: Benoit St-Jean [mailto:lamneth at sympatico.ca]
> my tar program did not support long filenames...

A longer time ago than I care to admit, I saw a proposal for a UNIX
compression utility called 'feather' --- just so you could tar and feather a
directory tree.  This looks like one of those times where it would have been
useful in name if nothing else :-).

I wonder whether it's worth finally creating a tar and/or zip file
read/write interface in Squeak, partially to avoid platform name problems
and partially to avoid the line-end munging that the existing archivers are
prone to do?  It wouldn't help a new Squeaker to download the first archive,
because they'd have to use a non-Squeak tol to get Squeak running in the
first place; but it would at least allow us to put a standard set of
instructions somewhere as to what to do if you get weird effects when
browsing sources and/or changes: re-expand using the Squeak internal tools.

		- Peter