eBook... any hope?

Jeff Szuhay jeff at szuhay.org
Mon Jan 15 17:49:35 UTC 2001

>Have you ever checked out the Clio (www.clio.com)?
> It's similar in size and functionality, and it runs Squeak pretty well.

Yes. But I'd say that Clio is very different from the RCA eBook.
First, it runs WinCE and I would want something to interface
to my Macs.
Second, the Clio doesn't have the "pick me and take me with you"
appeal that that eBook did.
Clio is very much a computer only type of device. What attracted
me about the eBook was that it was more like a real notebook, not
a computer. The touch and feel factor is very important.

With a tiny hard drive and Airport (fast wireless networking),
I'd pay a bit more than US$700 for that kind of portability.

Apple had it nearly right with the Newton. If only they didn't get
stuck on that clunky tiny pocket type device the way they did.

I'd consider a Clio device if Squeak could be the only thing running
there without any of that Windows stuff underneath.

   Jeff Szuhay              A randomly-directed
   www.szuhay.org           chaotical wetware pattern
   jeff at szuhay.org          recognizer/generator.

   Everything Fred Astaire did,
   Ginger Rogers did backward,