Comanche on Linux eating CPU?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Jan 27 11:30:22 UTC 2001

On 26 Jan 2001, Cees de Groot wrote:

> I've seen Comanche eating CPU on Linux boxen twice now - the first
> time I thought it was because I had lots of changesets in the image
> that could be the cause, but my second installation was from a clean
> image and had the same behavior. It's not much, maybe ~20%, but on an
> Internet server it's a waste of cycles (especially when said server is
> doing some unimportant background processing, like hosting 8,000
> domains ;-)).
>
> Both installations where Squeak 2.8, Linux 2.2.x on a multi-processor
> box, with the VM attached to an Xvnc server. Anything that I'm doing
> wrong with this setup?

I saw this too - same setup as yours (2.2.x, smp, Sq2.8, VNC). It went
away some time ago, now CPU usage is less than 1%. Unfortunately, I do not
know what I did to cause that ...

Anyway, I just upgraded to RedHat 7.0, and it's still fine. I'm seeing
peaks in regular intervals (every 5 minutes or so) and I haven't figured
out where these come from

-- Bert