Squeak on iPaq draft

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Jan 4 04:21:25 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 03 January 2001 19:47, Kevin Fisher wrote:

> Well, for one I just wanted the maximum hackability factor...I don't have
> access to a WinCE development environment so I couldn't build Squeak for
> starters...

I should note that there is a rather nice version of the WinCE development
tools (Visual C++ with remote debugging over the net or serial, etc.)
available for free (well, a free 300 Mb download or $7.00 CD) from Microsoft.

I've been using it a bit (did a new Squeak port) and it was really nice
to do remote debugging using my network adapter card for my handheld.

There's also an emulator, which is nice.

> plus, I've got the flexibility of changing anything I like with
> the Linux build.
>
> Additionally I figure I've got a better chance of stripping Linux down to
> the bare minimum than I do WinCE..all the more room for Squeak until
> SqueakNOS can eliminate the need for Linux (or anything else) altogether.

True... I've got the luxury of 32 Mb of RAM in my system, and the OS
is, of course, in flash...

> Also...well, I just don't like WinCE. :)  I use it far too much at work and
> it gives me a headache.

I can see how one could feel that way. However, once Squeak is going, you can
ignore it.

> Regardless, the shrinking info will apply to any WinCE users that are
> living in tight RAM space, I hope.  This little experiment is pure hacker's
> delight right now. :)  Sure it's probably easier in some respects under
> WinCE, but I enjoy the challenge.  (as I mentioned right now Linux is just
> a necessary evil...hopefully someday the iPaq will run pure Squeak).

I'll be looking forward to your shrinking experiments...

Have fun hacking!

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA