Squeak MIDI on USB Mac?

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Fri Jan 12 05:52:14 UTC 2001

I wrote...
>>>I just got a pretty cool MIDI synth box (a Roland JV-1010) and
>>>keyboard, and I want to hook them up to Squeak.  My Mac has USB, so
>>>I also bought a Midiman USB-to-MIDI interface.  They're all wired
>>>up.  Now what do I do?

John McIntosh replied...
>Strangely enough I was talking to the USB driver guy from Apple today
>at macworld SF. I asked him the same question, "how do we?"
>
>David Smith had asked me about USB, the mac, and Squeak last summer,
>besides the Apple fellow had asked me if he could help, then I found
>out who he was...
>
>Basically he told me well there *is* the Apple developers USB kit
>you can download it, good luck... Unlike a serial port you just don't
>open a known port and dump data... Now if someone has a MIDI device
>and has access to a docs on how to talk to it I'll see if I have time
>to look because Karl Goiser <karl at wattle.net> has been doing some
>Carbon work on Squeak for me and the two remaining issues are MIDI
>and serial port support. Serial port support we know how to fix, MIDI
>support is a mystery since as we know macs don't come with serial
>ports anymore.
>
>I'm of course curious if some of the USB devices provide fake serial
>support because some music systems might still just only talk to
>serial (MIDI) devices?

The Midiman gizmo (hereinafter "MIDISPORT") that I bought says the following...
"On the Mac an OMS driver is provided.  So you MUST have a sequencer that
supports OMS, and have OMS properly installed in order to use the MIDISPORT."

To me this means either...
We need to duplicate what the OMS driver does in some Squeak code or plugin, or...
Write an FFI interface to OMS, and use the OMS driver.

I was hoping someone had already done one of these, or at least wanted
to show off how easily they could do it ;-).

	- Dan

PS:  "Mike Thomas" <miketh at ptmnet.com> also replied to me in a private message...
>My recollection from reading Mac Midi stuff is that you may need to install
>either "OMS" or "FreeMidi".  The November 2000 "Sound On Sound" magazine had
>an article on using MIDI on the newer Mac's which might help.
>
>Also try:
>   http://www.cubase.net/articles/index.phtml/941128492
>Which tells how to obtain and setup OMS in the context of the Cubase
>sequencer (at least it's a start!).

I'm in the porcess of tracking these down right now.