Changes acceptance and polling issues (was: Re: ConnectionQueue improvement (changes))

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Tue Jan 23 09:51:53 UTC 2001

> This is something I personally want. Is it something that might get added to
> "standard" Squeak?

I'll assume the answer is no then :)

What's the policy regarding the Squeak standard API? What are the criteria
(if there are any besides the relevant maintainers approval) for getting a
change included?

And also, is there some architectural reason why polling design patterns are
used in Squeak? For example, I personally feel a blocking I/O support in
ConnectionQueue is something that should be standard. Yet the current
ConnectionQueue only supports a polling API (something I'd never use if I
didn't have to).

Similarly, the IRC implementation is a polling one (you have to invoke
processIO repeatedly, instead of the I/O running in as eparate thread).
As a result, I'll probably write an alternative implementation for personal
use.

And finally, there is the GUI which isn't entirly event driven (eg, moving
a window consumes 100% CPU; and in MVC (but not in morphic), pop-up menu
navigation also consumes 100% CPU; which would indicate some kind of
polling going on).

PGP userID: 0x5584BD98 or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.infidyne.com
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://scode.infidyne.com