Celeste poll

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Fri Jan 26 03:10:43 UTC 2001

Lex (and other Celeste users),

Personally, I don't *think* I'd really want the features mentioned
in 3, 4, and 5, but don't count my vote on this since I'm not a
current user and have scarely experienced those features.

I haven't used Celeste for a while, but I do periodically dump all
my current messages into Celeste. I've been doing this for a long
time, so I've now got some huge Celeste mail files, and I can see
that scale problems that have arisen.

The precursor to Celeste, Babar--which was used pretty heavily at
Xerox Parc and ParcPlace Systems for a number of years--had a couple
of design features that helped with the scaling problem. First, the
.index file was kept as a BTree, so the entire file didn't need to
read into memory at startup. A certain number of BTree pages were cached,
so a working set of index entries was usually in memory. However, Babar
did not have the filter functions that Celeste has, and scanning 10,000
BTree entries when filtering the entire mail database would likely
be slower than scanning Celeste's memory-resident data structure.
Thus, I think a better fix for the slow startup time for large mail
databases would be to switch to a binary format for the .index file
that can be read much faster than the current text-based format.
As I recall, parsing the large integers used to represent timestamps
and message ID's is very slow.

The other feature that Babar had was lazy updating of message
index entries. If you selected a category with uncached message
index entries, the message list pane would start empty and fill
one message at time. The process of fetching index entries continued
in the background, so if you scrolled down quickly you could catch up
to the point were entries had not yet been read in and watch them
filling in, one at a time. This took a little getting used to, but
it did mean that you could start doing things almost immediately
after selecting a large category. Perhaps something similar would be
useful for Celeste.

Of course, before doing any performance hacking, one should study
where the time is being spent (which I haven't done!). Both BTrees
and lazy evaluation add complexity and its only worth adding complexity
if it makes the system significantly more usable.

	-- John