[BUG] A Problem with Music Synthesis

Andrew P. Black black at cse.ogi.edu
Sat Jan 6 01:51:00 UTC 2001

I was just playing with the William Tell Overture in PlayWithMe 8.
This is in a newly downloaded 2.9alpha VM and image with latest
update 3125.

I changed the "voice" of one of  the instruments to "oboe2", and
tried to edit it.  I got a messageNotUnderstood walkback.

Poking around a little bit, it seems that oboe2 (and also flute2)
have two envelopes: a VolumeEnvelope and a RandomEnvelope.  (These
may be the only sounds with a RandomEnvelope.) The initialization
code in RandomEnvelope does not seem to be complete, because although
it does initialize some of the instance variables, it does not
initialize the instance variable points.  Consequently, when
EnvelopeEditorMorph attempts iterate over the points in that
envelope, it sends collect: to nil.

I don't know what a RandomEnvelope is really for (I'm musically
impaired) so I can't offer much help as to what the correct value for
points should be, but it doesn't seem to be nil!

	Andrew