Tablets and Squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Jan 30 14:36:36 UTC 2001

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Wiebe Baron wrote:

> Hi,
>   Is anyone using tablets with Squeak?

I am, and Alan K. mentioned it's used at SqC, too.

>  I'm considering WACOM tablets (as a complete substitute for the
> mouse)

I'm using a Wacom Intuos GD and it's *great*.

> and would like to know what kind of (windows) support Squeak
> currently has, and if there are any mayor issues that should be
> considered.

AFAIK there is no tablet support for Windows yet. The implementation
should not be too hard, though.

> Bert had mentioned 100% CPU loads in a post several moths ago when he
> was adding Unix support.

Really? Can't remember. It works fine now. I implemented a TabletHandMorph
which is controlled by the tablet prims, and fixed the software cursors so
you can actually have multiple of them. And then there is a subclass of
TabletHandMorph called TabletPenMorph that displays a virtual pen with
shadow instead of the cursor, including the correct tilting - immensely
cool :)

> Also, the windows 2.8 VM has a Joystick/Tablet plug-in - is this based
> on the WinTab API?

It's just a stub implementation - no tablet support at all.

-- Bert