Squeak on iPaq draft

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Jan 4 03:47:35 UTC 2001

Ah!  Good point!

Well, for one I just wanted the maximum hackability factor...I don't have
access to a WinCE development environment so I couldn't build Squeak for
starters...plus, I've got the flexibility of changing anything I like with the
Linux build.

Additionally I figure I've got a better chance of stripping Linux down to the
bare minimum than I do WinCE..all the more room for Squeak until SqueakNOS can
eliminate the need for Linux (or anything else) altogether.

Also...well, I just don't like WinCE. :)  I use it far too much at work and it
gives me a headache.

Regardless, the shrinking info will apply to any WinCE users that are living
in tight RAM space, I hope.  This little experiment is pure hacker's delight
right now. :)  Sure it's probably easier in some respects under WinCE, but I
enjoy the challenge.  (as I mentioned right now Linux is just a necessary
evil...hopefully someday the iPaq will run pure Squeak).