Fwd: Verizon looking for Smalltalk programmers

Jeff Szuhay jeff at szuhay.org
Mon Jan 29 20:07:58 UTC 2001

Don't know how I got on this list but here is a request
for programmers in Smalltalk (how often does one see
THAT nowadays?)

Anyway, here it is. Please do not reply to me.

<mailto:joel.poulter at verizon.com>

Jeff 8-)

>From: joel.poulter at verizon.com
>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:59:57 -0500
>Subject: Smalltalk
>
>Jeff,
>
>I represent Verizon Communications, a Fortune 10 company formed by the
>merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE.  Verizon is currently the largest
>Telecommunications Company in the United States and one of the largest
>in the world.  We are building systems that represent the future of
>telecommunications and are searching for top technical talent to help
>us accomplish this mission.
>
>We are actively seeking individuals with Smalltalk OOA/D development
>experience.  These permanent positions are located in the Arlington,
>Virginia area.  The positions offer relocation, excellent benefits and
>salary.  Included in this email is additional details about the
>project (Express Trak) and Arlington.
>
>If you or someone you know might be interested in learning more about
>these opportunities, please let me know.  Thank you for your time!
>
>Sincerely,
>Joel Poulter
>Verizon Recruitment
>

>Project Info:
>Express Trak is Verizon's implementation of a Strategic Billing System
>targeted to replace the existing legacy Billing System across all of
>its geographical regions. A multi-release approach has been developed
>to accomplish this task.  The main application is a client / server
>solution developed with Smalltalk and Gemstone on the front end and
>Cobol and DB2 on the backend.  Each Express TRAK release will
>incorporate more of the existing functionality. It is an ongoing
>long-term project meaning stability, but still offers full life cycle
>development projects.   This project supports several products
>including long distance, ATM, ADSL and Frame Relay.  Verizon's Express
>Trak is the largest smalltalk project ever implemented.
>City Info:
>Arlington is located in the country's most influential region and the
>power capital of the globe -- the Washington D.C. metropolitan area.
>The city is home to Washington National Airport making D.C. easily
>accessible. All major roadways and the five major bridges into
>Washington, D.C. from Virginia come through Arlington. Eleven of the
>thirty-three stations for D.C.'s Metro Subway system are located in
>Arlington.
>
>Arlington has been on the cutting edge of technology since the
>beginning of the digital revolution. The Internet was born here, at
>the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency and the National Science
>Foundation. Today, Arlington is at the center of the region known as
>the "Netplex," as Fortune magazine has labeled the nation's fastest
>growing communications center.
>
>The city has a 4.5% Sales Tax and has a lower cost of living than most
>major cities, including Boston,  New York, San Francisco, and Toronto.

   Jeff Szuhay              A randomly-directed
   www.szuhay.org           chaotical wetware pattern
   jeff at szuhay.org          recognizer/generator.

   <this space for rent>