Squeak as an NT service

Raymond Asselin raymondasselin at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 26 02:26:39 UTC 2001

The 25/01/01 at 17:42, Tim Dawes <tdawes at soliloquy.com> wrote:

>  Ok.
>
>  I'm running a Swiki, and I can't login every time the machine re/starts.
>  But, I'd like to be able apply patches and actually browse code while it's
>  running.
>  I guess my problem is this:
>  "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop" is available only if the service is
>  running as a LocalSystem account (as specified in the This Account box).
>  But I can't run it as the LocalSystem account according to this error
>  message:
>  "Starting the service is failed.
>  Error 5:Access is denied."
>  Is there a way to run it as a LocalSystem account?  Well, I guess this is an
>  NT question now, rather than Squeak.
>
>  Thanks Andreas.
>  Tim.

TIM,
        I did it on an NT 4.0 Server.

        In the comand line, you have to position you in the directory where squeak.exe is.
        Like "C:\ cd  \aNameForADirectoryWhereSqueakIs"
        you type this:  " squeak.exe -service: aNameForTheService  squeak.image " and return.
        NT will ask you if you want to start the service immediately...yes for sure

        Valid that you use a port different than 80 for the Swiki, may be 8080 because
        it seems that NT Server reserve this port for is own webServer.

        Another note, do not put a 'racourci'  (this is like an alias-sorry I don't know
        the english word) in the startUp folder, this can cause you troubles if there is a problem
        an that someone try to logon the alias in the startUp folder will try to launch the swiki
        a second time.

        Hope this help...
        Raymond