How do I create a SqueakPlugin.image from a 2.9a ?

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Mon Jan 22 07:01:33 UTC 2001

Russell Allen wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> Maybe this is a good time to reach a community agreement on what the
> official plugin images will be, and how often they are updated?
>
> Although there is (and should be) nothing to stop people who know what
> they are doing from creating their own plugin images, without a standard
> image that the squeaklet developers can rely on the vast majority of
> squeak plugin users having, squeaklets will be either buggy or
> complicated or both.
>
> My favourite feature would be versioning as part of the standard image
> (including the ability to automatically and transparently update the VM
> when needed), but we can get away with putting a lot of this in the
> squeaklets themselves if we have to.
>
> However, with a large number different image versions out there, writing
> a squeaklet that runs on them all will be non-trivial!
>
> I suggest that we
> (a) have an official SqueakPlugin.image
> (b) only update it in step with SqC official releases  (ie ignore alpha
> line).
>
> What do you think?

Thanks for the answer.
Sounds good, only exeption would be if some serious bug surfaced.
Regarding my questioning I was thinking about doing some testing with
projects, wich I find really exiting:-)
But it reqires 2.9.
Karl

> In regard to changes:
>         Smalltalk abandonSources
> will compile the temp variable names into the image and abandon changes,
>
>         Smalltalk abandonTempNames
> will go a step further.  Alternatively, I have packaged images in the
> past by merely doing
>         Preferences disable: #warnIfNoChangesFile.
>         Preferences disable: #warnIfNoSourcesFile.
>
> I guess it depends whether we think people using the plugin will need
> the source - personally I would like SqueakPlugin.image to be a shrunked
> image but still be with changes and source files (can we shrink them
> too?  Or offload the comments to a website somewhere?)

I think there is an issue with security and therefor only saveing to the
image file is enabled.