AW: Squeak and the thing GUI

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Wed Jan 10 04:49:27 UTC 2001

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote...
>That's the future.  It's not toooo hard, though, for Squeak apps to
>integrate much more nicely with existing window systems.  "All" that is
>necessary is to add the ability to open native windows.  It's important,
>by the way, to continue to allow for the case that only one big window
>is available; probably there'd have to be some sort of
>SystemWindow>>open that just does the right thing.  Furthermore, I
>suppose that incoming mouse events are going to have to say what window
>was clicked in.
>
>Still, it's a lot of details to worry about, and doing such things isn't
>as much fun when you've been thinking about a better way.

It's true that SQC hasn't been focussed on how to mate Squeak apps with multiple host windows, because our REAL model is we own the machine.  Nonetheless, note the evolution of Morphic from project/worlds in a hierarchical structure to worlds within worlds that are simultaneously active.  So multiple morphic worlds in multiple host windows is, I think, a fine point of convergence.

	- Dan