Squeak Books!

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 25 14:54:46 UTC 2001

At 9:18 PM -0800 1/24/01, Ned Konz wrote:
>I hope the next one has better production. Many of the screen shots appear to
>have the fuzzy artifacts of JPEG compression, making the text hard to read.
>It's hard to imagine why anyone would have used JPEG for screenshots, but I
>hope the next book doesn't.

It was an issue of rushing to get it out.  I made screenshots using
the save screen to disk which saves as GIF. When I saw how awful they
looked in the galley proofs, I asked for the opportunity to resend
them -- but it was too late to adjust so much art.  <sigh>  Other
textbook authors told me, "The best thing to say about a first
version of a book is that it's 'DONE.'  Save the fine points for the
second version."  I'll try to get the pictures better next time.

I learned a lot with the first book: Never write a book in Word,
LaTeX is beautiful but complicated, and getting screenshots right is
hard :-)

Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu