Trouble loading projects on Win98

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Jan 4 20:54:22 UTC 2001

On Mon, 04 Jan 1999 21:18:29 +0100 Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
>I wisited some family for a week and had only access to
>a Win98 machine. I downloaded the 2.9alpha image, the
>SqueakExe.zip dated 05-nov-00 from Andreas ftp and set off.
>But the experience was disapointing. Trying to load
>some projects off Bobs SuperSwiki made Squeak freeze.
>Downloading them with IE first did not help, they froze.
>I had to kill Squeak by pressing ctrl alt del
>and restart Win98.
>Is this a general problem with projects on Win98 or did
>I use wrong VM ?
>I did'nt have time or access to the list where I was so
>I could not go deeper into this.
>I look in the stout and it usually said
>something about the gzip prim.

Karl,

I'm not aware of any Win98 problems. Loading projects does require the ability to uncompress gzipped files. Your final comment leads me to wonder:

- does the VM you were using have ZipPlugin builtin? External? Not at all?
- what happens if you try to compress and decompress a file from the File List?
- are you sure it was frozen and not just *real* slow? If the plugin were missing, it might fall back to Smalltalk code to do the decompression and that could take lots of time.

Cheers,
Bob