Convention regarding exceptions

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at exobox.com
Thu Jan 25 00:54:16 UTC 2001

>I think there is every reason to create a new Exception subclass; but
>searching for "Exception" in the class browser yields only 5 classes that
>appear to be actual exception types. This makes me apprehensive.

The reason there are so few is that exception handling was a relatively
recent addition to Squeak - about a year or so. IIRC, the version in the
base image still needs a little final tweaking.  I think Tim Rowledge has
the necessary modifications to make it complete.  I know several people
have been lobbying for inclusion.  When/if that happens, some adventurous
Squeakers may embark on a  mission to add rational exception handlers to
the rest of the image.

-- Duane