Changes acceptance and polling issues (was: Re: ConnectionQueue improvement (changes))

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Tue Jan 23 23:08:04 UTC 2001

> > I'll assume the answer is no then :)
>
> Well, you did only give it three days, over a weekend, when everyone
> was terribly busy yacking about plugin security and whether or not
> it's evil to allow non-block arguments to #ifTrue:ifFalse.  :)

Hehe. Good point I guess :)

> > What's the policy regarding the Squeak standard API? What are the criteria
> > (if there are any besides the relevant maintainers approval) for getting a
> > change included?
>
> There really aren't any formal criteria.  Among the factors which
> increase your chances are putting tags like [ENH] in the subject line,
> and having people voice a positive response to your work.  It also
> helps for the timing to be auspicious.

Ok. I thought ENH (=ENHancement?) was reserved for "officiall" patches only :)

So what happens with an ENH-prefix; is it taken as a request to include it
in the official distribution? If so, how/when/if is it handled in terms of
actually *getting* it into the official distribution (or rejecting it)? I
haven't seen much of that kind of "administrivia" on the list.

> Personally, I think your change to allow blocking requests to
> ConnectionQueue is a great idea.  (A method to stop serving new
> requests without destroying the queued connections would be nice,
> too.)  In fact, the entire Socket interface could use similar changes.
> I'd like to see a more stream-like interface -- although perhaps
> something simpler than flow; I just couldn't seem to get my head
> around that.

Something like Java's stream API? I've been thinking along those lines; code
shouldn't have to care wheather they're talking to a host across a network
or a file.

> As for the polling design patterns are used so much in Squeak, I
> imagine it's largely historical.  It appears that these things *have*
> been getting better lately.

Ok. I was thinking it might have been another "Smalltalk thing" (I'm still
pretty new to it) :)

PGP userID: 0x5584BD98 or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.infidyne.com
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://scode.infidyne.com