AW: Squeak and the thing GUI

Hans N. Beck HNBeck at t-online.de
Mon Jan 8 19:23:56 UTC 2001

Hi Lex,

One thing was left out in the other posts: Squeak only opens one OS
window at a time.  This limitation will probably cause trouble for
developping programs that will fit smoothly into a foreign OS's desktop.
[Hans N. Beck]   Oh, that's new to me. And - in order to be portable - Squeak uses
only the property of this one window to color pixels and to make bitblit (as the basics in
the Adele Book, the "blue book" right ?), nothing more ?

It's probably not too hard to accomplish, but it doesn't sound like
something Squeak Central would want to spend time on.  I imagine that
when you spend time thinking about computers of the future, it's hard to
step back and interoperate with the inferior computers of today.
[Hans N. Beck]  Please, can you explain this statement a little more ? do you mean a single
window is the future, or what else ?????

Greetings

Hans