Squeak V3 (was: Final call for 2.9 updates)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Jan 26 08:51:39 UTC 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Bob Arning wrote:

> As you know, Dan plans on wrapping up 2.9 next week and issung a
> 3.0alpha in preparation for putting Squeak on the web in a bigger way.

I read that as a proposal and there was no positive reply to now.

IMHO it would do no good to Squeak to jump to a new major version only for
a condensed sources file. Who needs a sources file on the Web anyway? The
current 2.8 Squeaklet image does just fine without. Developers like us can
happily live with a multi-magabyte changes file.

There were a lot of modifications proposed that would justify a new major
version when finished: Morphic clean up, Network streaming support, new
method format, actually using Exceptions, block closures, you name it. So
why the rush?

-- Bert