a Squeak VM on any given CPU...

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 8 19:04:56 UTC 2001

ret at deltanet.com (Rick) is widely believed to have written:

> I'm wondering if there are any papers on what Smalltalk "dream machine" hardware might look like?
You could try to dig out stuff on the Manchester University 'Mushroom'
project (http://www.wolczko.com/mushroom/ is a very good starting point)
along with Dave Ungars PhD thesis
(http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Dienst/UI/2.0/Describe/ncstrl.ucb/CSD-86-28
7?abstract=smalltalk appears to have it all online in some form) and you
might find some stuff on the SWORD32
(http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/indices/a-tree/s/Suzuki:Nori
hisa.html) and I'm sure there are some others. The key point I take from
all these is that there is little point in trying to make a special CPU
for Smalltalk (though the lessons don't appear to have been learnt by
the java people yet).

My suggestion is that the key is to make a very, very fast memory
system. At one point it looked like TI might be onto an interesting idea
when they announced some waferscale integration fab proces and commented
that they could easily fit a few dozen StrongARM CPU cores and a few gig
of ram on a wafer. Now _that_ would probably be quite a good ST machine.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- LE ROI EST MORT. JIVE LE ROI - The King is dead.  No kidding.