[OT] Frame and Word [Was: Squeak Books!]

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Sat Jan 27 19:27:39 UTC 2001

Interesting. I just did write a book using Word (Mastering ENVY/Developer),
and it wasn't a particularly unpleasant experience. Wait, let me rephrase
that. The word processing software was the least of my worries.

I think it depends a lot on how close to the final product you have to get.
Writing something in Word where you want to get exact formatting is fairly
difficult, but doing something that is in the right general ballpark can be
quite easy. Since all I had to do was define styles (which were not
supposed to look particularly like the final output) and explain to the
typesetting people what a particular style meant (and they had a pretty
broad range of predefines ones to start with) it was quite straightforward.

It also depends on size. Administrative staff tend to write things a few
pages long, and for administrative documents precise look is not all that
important.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Systems
knight at acm.org