Squeak book chapter files on Swiki corrupt

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Tue Jul 3 00:45:44 UTC 2001

Under MacOS X and Darwin, they most certainly did!

On Monday, July 2, 2001, at 11:24 AM, Jochen F. Rick wrote:

> Weird indeed. When I moved the files, I moved them in binary. I think
> some may have gotten trashed on minnow, but the ones on coweb should be
> good. Please let me know of any more files you find that have problems
> and I'll fix them. Stupid Macs with their stupid transfer programs! Why
> can't they just implement tar like everyone else.
>
> Peace and Luck!
>
> Je77
>
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:41:19AM -0400, Mark Guzdial wrote:
>> That's very weird -- I checked them all before putting them up.
>> (They weren't uploaded -- they were moved across by AppleShare.)
>>
>> Ohhhh -- I wonder if something bad happened when CoWeb became a Linux
>> box.  Anyway, I have the original Word and will upload new PDF soon.
>>
>> Mark

>>> Yes. I've just checked this with Acrobat 4.0 (and everything else on
>>> my
>>> system capable of reading pdf). They're definately corrupt beyond
>>> redemption.
>>>
>>> xpdf gives:
>>>
>>> john at molehole:~/Desktop/book_test > xpdf parsia.pdf
>>> xpdf version 0.90
>>> Copyright © 1996-1999 Derek B. Noonburg
>>> Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref
>>> table...
>>> Error (2968): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (7400): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (10239): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (12832): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (15239): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (17576): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (19668): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (21802): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (24368): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (27467): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (30371): Bad FCHECK in flate stream
>>> Error (33525): Bad FCHECK in flate stream