Mac OS X VM (was Re: New VMs)

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Wed Jul 4 13:19:03 UTC 2001

On Wednesday, July 4, 2001, at 10:48  Uhr, Roel Wuyts wrote:

> I *really* hate installers.

Yes.

[reasons snipped]

>  Also,  it means that MacOS-X would be the only mainstream
> OS where Squeak requires an installer, and I thought MacOS-X was
> supposed to
> really shine in that respect :-)

Well, drag-installing with the new 3.0.4 should live up to that.

> PS: Marcel (or anybosy else who knows, of course): does it work when the
> frameworks are alongside the application (is './' part of the loopup
> path?).

Nope.  You could probably add that using the same mechanism currently
used to find frameworks inside the app-wrapper, but why would you want
to if you can put them in the wrapper?

> Because of course I can live with a setup where you can keep everything
> in
> one directory if it's only for 'local' use, and where you move this to
> other
> places if you want to make it available for other apps ?

The app wrapper *is* this directory.  Makes moving stuff outside a
little more arduous, but is much better at keeping everything tidy and
consistent.

> PS2: Is there work going for a Squeak shell ? Now there's something
> that I
> would really like... Maybe enough to start a Camp Smalltalk or
> SourceForge
> project. Other people that are interested in this ?

You mean for something like this:

----- tinybench.sqsh -----
#!/usr/local/bin/sqsh
#